You've created the perfect map using Terrain Navigator Pro, uploaded to MyTopo for printing, only to have it rejected as being improperly sized. Here are three possibilities as to what happened, and how to fix it.
As a reminder, this article gives step-by-step instructions as to how to create a custom map using TNP. We'll assume you've already got that far, all you need to do is ensure the map made is suitable for printing at MyTopo.
My map is not scaled properly to fit the page
This usually occurs due to a incompatibility with the text size option in Microsoft Windows. The symptom is that the map will appear bunched up in the upper left hand corner of the PDF, with large margins on the right and bottom.
Here is an example:
There are two ways to fix this.
1. Adjust the size of text, apps, and other items to 100%, then re-create the map.
- Close Terrain Navigator Pro.
- Click the Windows Start button, then the Settings Gear.
- In "Find a Setting" type, then select: "Change the size of text, apps, and other items".
- Change the size of text, apps, and other items to 100%
- Restart Terrain Navigator Pro, re-create your map, and verify that the map is sized correctly before uploading it to MyTopo for printing.
2. Print to a 3rd-party PDF creatorThis solution is not generally recommended, unless there is a reason that Windows' size of text, apps, and other items can not be changed (at least temporarily) to 100%.
- Near the top of the Print window of Terrain Navigator Pro, change it to <<< Print Preview >>> mode.
- In the Printer/File tab, change the Printer to a software PDF creator that you have access to. (Not all PCs will have one, and several are available for download on the Internet.)
- Select the paper size that matches the Print Template that you had selected previously for the size of your map. Map sizes must be 18" x 24", 24" x 36", or 36" x 48" (landscape or portrait.)
- If your paper size is not available, press Properties... and see if a custom paper size is available there. If so, enter the paper size that matches the Print Template.
The print window should now look something like this:
- Once satisfied with your map, press the Print button to create the PDF. Please verify that the map is sized correctly before uploading it to MyTopo for printing.
My map size is too small
Occasionally, MyTopo will receive a map that is 8.5" x 11" or 11" x 17". These maps are too small to be printed on our large-format papers.
Here's an example:
Notice how the text in the margins is cut off and scrunched together? That's a good sign the map is not at the correct size. A sure way to tell is to open the File menu of your PDF viewer, choose Properties, then look at the page size:
To fix this:
- Start making your map with the correct Template for the desired paper size. The template is selected in the Templates tab of TNP's Print window.
- Set the mode to <<< Export Preview >>> so that you see the map you are Exporting.
- When satisfied with the map, press the Export button (not Print) to create the PDF file.
- Open the resulting PDF in a PDF viewer, verify that the page size is 18" x 24", 24" x 36", or 36" x 48" (landscape or portrait.)
- Finally, upload the map to MyTopo for printing.
Note: If you wish to Print the map to a PDF creator software application installed on your PC (as opposed to Exporting the map using TNP's built in PDF creator) be SURE to set the paper size. (See the instructions above - Print to a 3rd-party PDF creator.)
My map's size did not match the paper size selected when uploading
When you select the Print Template in TNP, you are specifying the dimensions of the final map page: 18" x 24", 24" x 36", or 36" x 48" (landscape or portrait.)
Once the map is Exported as a PDF, it will have that same page size (unless it was changed in the Printer/File tab inadvertently.) This can be verified in the PDF viewing software by checking the Properties of the document:
This is the size that you must specify when uploading the map to MyTopo for printing. Otherwise, the map won't fit on the paper, or you will end up with a lot of extra white space around the map.
Don't forget to specify Folded or Rolled formatting. This too should match the template you started with.
My free, no-obligation trial for Terrain Navigator Pro has expired. Can I get an extension?
We appreciate your patience by using our professional-grade mapping software to make a custom map while the MyTopo online map-maker is being rebuilt. Just shoot us an email at TNPsupport@trimble.com to request an extension. As long as you are using TNP to make maps for printing at MyTopo, we will be happy to give you a complementary extension to your TNP subscription as needed.
Can I get help using Terrain Navigator Pro?
Drop us an email at TNPsupport@trimble.com or call us at 800-627-7236. We'll do our best to help you use TNP to make your perfect map.
Alternatively, if TNP is proving too complex to use (and it might, as it has far more features than those needed to make MyTopo-style custom map) please schedule and appointment and we'll be happy to make your map via an online teleconference.